Monday, June 8, 2009

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies


My daughter received the book The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear for Christmas when she was two. After ripping off the wrapping paper, she sat down in her flannel Christmas PJs nightgown and promptly began 'reading' the book to us in her sweet raspy voice. The little mouse basically tries to keep the red ripe strawberry away from the bear because there is nothing a big hungry bear likes more than a red ripe strawberry.

That happy memory has been on my mind lately as I have made no less than four strawberry desserts over the past couple of weeks. First was a fresh fruit pizza for a Memorial Day cookout, then a Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake featured in the current issue of Food Network Magazine. The next weekend red, ripe strawberries were all over the farmer's market and I couldn't resist using a basket full to top off honey drizzled, toasted pound cake and mascarpone cream shortcakes (my favorite of all four!). Then the June Cookie Carnival recipe came and it was these Strawberry Shortcake Cookies.

I expected these cookies to be more scone than cookie, and they do have a little bit of a scone texture. Initially, I wasn't terribly impressed, but found I kept eating them. I especially liked the ones that had a heavy topping of turbinado sugar and sandwiched with leftover mascarpone cream. This was a simple recipe to put together and the cookies are best eaten right away. I think they would very good with fresh blueberries too.

Strawberry-Shortcake Cookies
Martha Stewart Living

12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 inch dice(2 cups)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 ounces(6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup heavy cream
Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in the strawberry mixture.

2. Using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24-25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day. Makes about 3 dozen.

Note: I was a little short ont the cream so I used about a 1/4 cup skim milk with the cream. Also, these cookies were done in about 15 minutes so watch them closely.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. WOW you made these quick!! Good to know they are best eaten right away... it's always so sad when things get dry and gross the next day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this review! I just printed out the recipe last night thinking it would be a good use of some strawberries that are just begging to be used. Maybe I'll tweak the recipe a bit.

    They did seem like they are a little "scone-ish"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some strawberries in the freezer and you have me sold on making these cookies. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too found between 15 to 17 minutes to be the ideal amount of cooking time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found them addictive and think they would be great with blueberries too! But I think they are designed for scone lovers more than cookie lovers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...