Sunday, October 31, 2010

SMS - Goat Cheese, Sun Dried Tomato & Thyme Muffins and Carmelized Onion, Pecan & Thyme Muffins


The Sweet Melissa Sundays baking group has made several variations of the savory muffin recipe included in the book. Hanaa of Hanaa's Kitchen selected the Goat Cheese, Olive, and Thyme version for this week's recipe.

Looks like everyone is taking advantage of the flexibility of this recipe and modifying the recipe to take advantage of their favorite ingredients or what they have on hand. I decided to make two varieties and am thrilled with both!

I love goat cheese and thyme, but not olives so I left those out of my first batch and used sun dried tomatoes instead. These were awesome, creamy and tangy from the goat cheese and a nice salty bite from the tomatoes. These would be amazing with a big bowl of soup or even a pasta dish.

For the second muffin I kept the thyme and added carmelized onions and chopped pecans. I went to a bourbon food seminar this spring and one of the recipes featured was an onion and walnut muffin. The chef told us that the recipe was well over a hundred years old and was beautifully simple and delicious. I loved these and decided to use this opportunity to make a version of those by caramelizing finely chopped onions in some butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of sugar. The sweetness of the onions really stood out and was perfect with the crunch of the toasted pecans and herb flavor from the thyme. Another keeper that would make a great nibble with cocktails or in the bread basket at dinner.

Thanks to Hanaa for hosting this week. You can find the base recipe at her blog, here!
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. What great flavor combinations!!! I love the idea of these as mini muffins with cocktails. Thanks for the great suggestion.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! Both your versions of the savory muffin sound amazing! The second one with the caramelized onions and pecans would be out of this world, YUM! Happy Halloween =)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both keepers!! I am always looking for something I can make in a large quantity for our Christmas party, I think these would be a nice touch! ~LeslieMichele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for baking along with me this week. Your variations sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the caramelized onion one, but didn't get a chance to make the goat cheese one. Yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of your variations sound really good, though I'm partial to the caramelized onions - can't go wrong there! I'm really not a huge fan of savory muffins and I knew these wouldn't be eaten at my house so I sat out.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...