Thursday, March 17, 2011

FFWD - Salted Butter Break-Ups


In addition to being my go-to-for-anything-and-everything best friend, Amy is also my biggest blog supporter. She is always complimenting me on it and telling others about it. Kind of like a proud mama.

Recently she told me that she prefers the posts I do for recipes outside of cooking groups, commenting that I seem to be more excited about them. And very often this is true. While a lot of people prefer having others make decisions for them, I am not one of them. I like to be in control so the fact that I have joined groups where there is so little decision making is probably a sign of personal growth.

Personal growth aside, cooking groups have, without question, grown me as a cook. There are a ton of recipes here on this little blog of mine that I would have never chosen because of they were too intimidating or there was a technique I had never tried or an ingredient I didn't like. Sometimes when one of those shows up on the rotation, I skip it. More often than not, I go with it and stretch my creativity and skills and have become a much better cook because of it.

I was excited about Salted Butter Breakups as this week's French Fridays with Dorie recipe and one that I have wanted to make since receiving Around My French Table. A gigantic cookie that you throw in the middle of the table and encourage everyone to break off and eat with abandon? How fun!

Basically a salty shortbread cookie, this comes together easily enough. I enjoyed making the cross hatch pattern and anxiously awaited while the cookie baked to a perfect golden brown. Pulling the cookie out of the oven I was patting myself on the back because it completely looked like the one in the book. I took a bite and was kind of disappointed that the flavor was good, but boring. I was expecting more saltiness but I kept breaking off little chunks.

The next day, the big cookie sat in it's container almost untouched. I took another bite, again not bad, just nothing special. Feeling guilty and wasteful, I decided to try and doing something creative with it. I tossed a can of peaches with some sugar, flour, lemon juice, and vanilla paste and placed the mixture in ramekins, crumbling the cookie over it to create a crisp. The cookies were a great crisp topping adding both subtle flavor and crunch.


I don't know that I would have ever made this recipe if I weren't in this group. And I don't think I will ever make it again. However, if I had tasted this cookie and thought this is the best cookie ever (like I did a couple of days ago with a cookie called Chunky Lola), I would have never put together the impromptu peach crisp. This is a great example of how being in a cooking group has pushed me out of my comfort zone and isn't just about what ends up on the plate, but how I grow through each recipe.

Has participating in this group made you a better cook?
Pin It!

23 comments:

  1. I'm taking this cookie to my knitting group to see their reaction. My first taste was so-so, but as I took a few more bites, I really enjoyed it! Love your idea of using it as a crisp topping :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one of us could taste the salt in these, so I would up the salt the next time I make these. I did like they were so quick and easy to put together and the reaction from the men in my family was great because they disappeared quickly. I like your idea of making them into a crisp. What I like about the cooking groups is that it makes me cook from at least two of the cookbooks that I have bought. I have so many cookbooks on my shelves that I have only made one or two recipes from - such a waste. These groups not only take me out of my comfort zone, but also help me be a better cook and baker because I get so many wonderful tips and ideas from the members! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how this could have used an extra hit of salt. & I am totally with you on using this experience to try foods outside my comfort level - even if I am not thrilled about it.
    Crumbling up the cookie for a crisp topping or a crust for a cheesecake would be a great use for this. Great thinking on the peach dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a love/hate thing going on with cooking groups too. Part of me feels quite confined and the other part realizes how much growth comes from it. Often in unexpected ways as you say. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I am definitely improving as a cook through the weekly FFwD recipe, especially when it comes to sweets and baking. I can't do pretty/dainty sweets to save my life (not without cutters or a cookie press), so I really liked this 'rustic' cookie. As for the taste, I did sprinkle extra sea salt before baking and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I topped my cookie with some extra salt and really liked it. What a great idea to use i for a crisp topping....and I'm happy you have Amy in your life. There isn't much better than people who not only love and support us but champion our causes. Way to go Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The crsip topping is a great idea. We ate these as an appetizer with brie and they were quite good. I think cooking clubs are a nice addition to a cook's life...but just an addition. You gotta keep on doing your own thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely agree with you - I was so reluctant to make the Beggars Linguine last week because I had to do it - I wasn't inspired to do it. But, the best thing about this experience - aside from making new friends - is moving out of our comfort zones. I am learning so much & trying things I would never have tried otherwise. I don't know if I'll make this cookie again, but it was fun to make. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that you kept trying it and ultimately found a way to jazz up the cookies with the peaches and ice cream instead of just tossing it out! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always baked and experimented in the kitchen. However, blogging was a total stretch for me. I had read other peoples blogs for years but was not confidant enough to actually make the jump to start my own. By joining the group, I was pushed to start my own blog…definitely pushing me out of my comfort zone! I am so enjoying the experience and meeting all the other (in Trevor's words) Doristas who are cooking along! I love that you used your cookie as a crisp topping! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea...I might make this giant cookie again just to side it with ice cream...and a little more salt added to the dough is a good idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in agreement about the taste of this cookie. Fun presentation though. Using it as crisp topping is a good way to give it second life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your peach crisp looks wonderful-- one of my favorite desserts! I agree that this group has really pushed me out of my comfort zone. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that you took the cookie, which you weren't wild about, and created something completely new.
    This is the first time I've been in a cooking group. I've tried (and liked) some recipes I never would have picked from this book on my own. I find that cooking the weekly selection adds some spice to the week. I also enjoyed the ideas of the people that started from the same recipe. It's interesting how everyone seems to have their own special way with cooking and how you get a sense of it reading about their experiences week after week.
    Thanks for your thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really did a wonderful job in expressing your thoughts (and my thoughts, as I am in agreement completely) on both cooking groups AND this particular recipe. Unless they are very expensive ingredients, I have found that I actually prefer to "have" to try a recipe I never would have otherwise. Or technique. Even on this one.... I found myself wondering if I had ever actually done a crosshatch pattern. I was underwhelmed by the cookie as well. Kudos for you to try a new way to make it a success. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that cooking with groups pushes me a little, makes me be a bit more disciplined:) And I like having a deadline, even though I usually scramble to post:)
    I put more salt in the dough, I guess, because we definitely got a nice reminder. Very pleasant, which surprised me.
    I like the idea of using the cookie for topping!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha! I want you to know that I've now changed my "name", so that it's not so confusing!! :) You are WAY ahead of me in most things... hopefully it makes you laugh too!

    Sorry you didn't like this as much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am totally with you on the outcome of this recipe. I jazzed mine up with some nutella and then tried some with 2 types of jam. But like you, I probably won't make this one again. But I absolutely love how the cooking group pushes us out of our comfort zones. I feel like my skills have grown exponentially since joining a couple of groups. I thought I knew how to bake, until I joined Sweet Melissa Sundays...LOL. Your cookie looks perfect by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have grown so much thanks to this group! I learn the most from reading how people make substitutions or adapt things to fit their tastes, their kitchens, their families, etc. For instance, I love how you jazzed up your cookie. I brought mine out to the horse barn -- for the people, not the horses -- so as not to waste it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great thoughtful post! FFWD is my first cooking group and I like it for making me cook recipes that I wouldn't have otherwise but most of all, I like it for introducing me to other bloggers, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I understand what you mean about cooking with groups. I have a hard time fitting all the recipes is, but have tried several recipes that I wouldn't have otherwise made. I think the groups help you to learn what kind of food (and cooking) you enjoy the most. Plus, it's fun to read about others' experiences with the same recipe. Lots to learn for sure.

    I was really looking forward to this recipe too. I haven't made it yet, but it does look fun. I'm thinking (and hoping) it will be a great recipe for kids. Yours looks great!

    P.S. Thanks for the email about the cooking classes. I'm looking forward to checking out one of his classes for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally appreciate your honesty with writing this post. I've been loving the cooking group but in some ways is does kind of hamper a bit of creativity on our parts. That being said, like you, there have been a lot of recipes I wouldn't have otherwise tried if they had not been on the list, so for that I am thankful and I do feel I've become a better cook because it's made me step out of my comfort zone a little bit. Getting back to the salted butter break-ups: What you did by crumbling them up and putting them over peaches was such a great idea. Don't think I would have thought of that but it was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post...and great use of the cookie. I'm a fan of this cookie, but I love its simplicity...but your idea is def. going to be put to use in this house in the future...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...