Friday, September 2, 2011

FFWD - Corn Soup

I can't believe how long it's been since I participated in a French Fridays with Dorie! I even made a couple of the recipes, but just didn't post about them.

But I couldn't pass up the chance to use fresh corn. I have gotten some fantastic corn this summer and as much as I love just grilling it up, I have been looking for different ways to prepare it. This soup was a great vehicle for this summer staple.

I loved steeping the milk in the corn cobs. Such a simple idea, but genius. The soup was lighter than I expected, but was a nice contrast to the heavy corn chowder I frequently make during colder months. I used chicken stock instead of water to add a bit more flavor and a leek instead of an onion since I somehow managed to not have an onion in the house. For as much grocery shopping as I do, it amazes me that I often run out of basics like flour, butter, and onions.

Dorie suggests pureeing the soup in a blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. I opted to use my immersion blender because I wanted the soup to have some texture, it's easier, dirties fewer dishes, and it's fun. An immersion blender feels like a power tool for the kitchen. Blending the veggies added a bit more body to the soup but I still had a lot of texture from the vegetables.

Soup in summer? Absolutely!

You can find this recipe, here.


Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I thought steeping the cobs was brilliant - getting as much goodness from them as possible. (Your link on the French Fridays website goes to the Epicurious recipe for corn soup, rather than this post.)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what ya think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...